Note: Requires MS Excel and Dreamweaver
- Select the playlist in iTunes by clicking on it. Right-click and select “Export…” from the pop-up menu.
- Save as a text file .txt
- Import the text file in Excel (I’m using Office 2010). Choose delimited and select unicode UTF-8 as the file origin IF you have a foreign language like Japanese. Click finish.
- Delete any columns you like. You will need a plug-in for Excel to create an xml and xsd file. Go to this Microsoft page. Follow the instructions on that page.
- In Dreamweaver click the Spry tab and click the Spry Data Set icon.
- Select XML as the data set. Browse the the XML file you created with Excel. Dreamweaver will also ask you for the xsd file you created with Excel. You’ll be walked through a wizard. Make sure and choose the options you want (i.e. sortable columns).
- Upload the files to your site.
Here is an anime music playlist I created. Clicking the table headers lets you sort the column data.
- To change iTunes bytes column to megabytes create a new column and enter the following formula =ROUND((D2/1024/1024),1) where “D2” equals your first cell with bytes. When your cursor changes to a thin plus sign drag that formula into all the cells below. Format the new column as text. Copy and past it again using the values option. Delete the original bytes column and the 1st column you created.
- To change iTunes seconds column to mm:ss create a new column and enter the following formula =INT(E2/60)&”:”&INT(MOD(E2,60)) where E2 contains the first cell with seconds. Use the same instructions above to populate and delete columns. Unfortunately, using this method will not allow you to properly sort this column so keep it as seconds if you want to sort it. What I did was sorting the data by time before editing then leave “sort column” as “none” using the wizard for a default time sort.
- Remember to format your number cells as numbers so they properly sort.
- You can also use Google Docs if you don’t have your own site. You can skip the XML steps that way too. 🙂